Solar Panels vs hail, and other obstacles...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NctryBen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diving coast to coast I’ve encountered large hail and such. How do solar panels hold up taking the direct hit like they do. Seems weather is getting to be more of a challenge lately.

Panels are really pretty sturdy but I mounted mine so I could flip it down on the back side of the camper while traveling. I raise it to horizontal for shade when parked.

I've been through several hail storms. One left some dimples in my hood but didn't bother the solar panel.

Any hail that will damage rigid solar panels will do significant damage to your vehicle: windows shattered, deep dimples.  

I have no clue about flexible panels, but I would guess they would go through the same testing as rigid panels.  It would depend on what they are mounted on.  Ask the manufacturer.

Can hail damage a solar panel?

Ultimately the answer is yes.

Does it happen often? No

bullfrog said:
Panels are really pretty sturdy but I mounted mine so I could flip it down on the back side of the camper while traveling. I raise it to horizontal for shade when parked.

That’s a great idea. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, ya throw me a new idea... a good one I think.

Generally speaking, if the hail is large enough (>1.5") to cause damage to the tempered glass of your solar panels, then the window glass and sheet metal on your vehicle is probably getting beat to hell. The cost to replace a panel or two will be much less than the repairs on the rest of your vehicle.

In other words, fuh-get-about-it.

Latest posts