Seatbelt for Dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cy_5th

Reaction score
Any recommendations? I have seen some. But now for RVs. I want some tried and true for the rec van. The seatbelt would have to be able to be used not only when he's sitting shotgun but also in the main foyer where that handle is to go down from the side.

Any recommendations?
Tbere is no reliable harness that will protect a dog in a collision or even sudden braking incidents. Crating is the best way in a van or RV. The crate needs to be sturdy and well secured to the structure. Not one of those typical plastic dog crates from the pet store. You could potentially build something study with padding for a lot less than the crates sold for K9 and other rescue types of working dogs. While it might not be collapsible you could make it fairly easy to disassemble using sturdy fasteners.

Last edited:
Tbere is no reliable harness that will protect a dog in a collision or even sudden braking incidents. Crating is the best way in a van or RV. The crate needs to be sturdy and well secured to the structure. Not one of those typical plastic dog crates from the pet store. You could potentially build something study with padding for a lot less than the crates sold for K9 and other rescue types of working dogs. While it might not be collapsible you could make it fairly easy to disassemble using sturdy fasteners.
This is not true. There are safety rated harnesses.

And if its a choice between harness and no harness, a harness is much more safe.

This is not true. There are safety rated harnesses.

And if its a choice between harness and no harness, a harness is much more safe.
Yeah, there are harnesses made to protect animals in crashes .

Recently I did a search for "is it safe to transport a cat in a travel trailer" and the results were a mix of 'absolutely not!!' and 'sure, just make sure it has water and a litter box'.

Lots of links to harnesses as vets were on the side of 'all need a harness'.

Recently I did a search for "is it safe to transport a cat in a travel trailer" and the results were a mix of 'absolutely not!!' and 'sure, just make sure it has water and a litter box'.
Actually it would be better to let it ride up front, on your shoulder....

Where it has plenty of nice soft surface to sink its claws in, in case of emergency...

Actually it would be better to let it ride up front, on your shoulder....

Where it has plenty of nice soft surface to sink its claws in, in case of emergency...
No joke. I had a cat I used to drive with occasionally. He would basically lay on my shoulders behind my neck like an airplane pillow and look out the window.

...no reliable harness...will protect a dog in a collision or even sudden braking...
Military-certified Dog Handler here.
We also worked SearchAndRescue and SearchAndRecovery.
Agreed.
Strapped in a harness during a wreck, animals tend toward broken ribs and neck injuries.
Although they may not impact the windshield or get 'thrown free', those injuries will probably degrade their remaining years.
Our companions are in our care, dependent on us for food and security.
Our companions would rather be with us than temporarily abandoned in a stand-still house for those hours we work or shop.
Our duty is ensuring their time with us is a joy.
Watch dogs playing and climbing trees.
They automatically land with their legs acting as a spring.
Same in a wreck.
In a sedan or van, reward them for following your command "Backseat!".
Turbo, one of the massive Rhodesian Ridgebacks I trained, accompanied me while clearing a closed business during a potential apprehension.
After the scruff (aka 'monkey', 'punk', 'waste of skin') was cuffed and secure with my partners, I gave Turbo the command "Backseat!".
She ran outside, around the corner, jumped in the open passenger window, climbed through the pass-through, and laid in the back seat.
Extra treats for that good girl!

My introduction to safely transporting search and rescue dogs in this case a tall Mercedes van that a friend did a custom interior on. He built in several strong stainless steel crates against the sidewall behind the drivers seat. He did a great custom build, well thought out and executed to keep the build attractive, strong as well as light weight. He was retired from teaching junior high but still active. He became a volunteer instructor, trainer and of course participant in the special class of search and rescue dogs who search specifically for cadavers.