Radios

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy listening to the radio sometimes when I am out and about. Currently, I have a pair of Sangean (Radio Shack branded) shortwave receivers that can also receive FM and AM. I enjoy these a lot, partly because I like to tune-in to what is going on in the area I am visiting. It has crossed my mind that it might also be interesting to have one of the 12V portable Sirius-XM radios as well, to stay up with world and national events, and to listen to pretty awesome music.

What radio set-up do you use?

Quartzsite has a big ham radio event I believe every year in the winter.

In my Motorhome I listen to Sirius radio a lot to stay up on world events. It can receive programming where ever you are. I also have an Icom IC-7600 HF radio for my Amateur Radio activity.

I have the same Radio Shack short wave receiver. it's been a work horse for me since the early 90's. it's sad though that the short wave bands aren't what the used to be. highdesertranger

So, can one tune into radio anywhere with these? Thanks!

"So, can one tune into radio anywhere with these?"

I don't understand the question.

yes you can tune it in anywhere that there is a strong enough signal. they are quite sensitive and can pick up very week signals. but that doesn't mean that they will pick up everything everywhere. there are many factors to how much the receive, length of radio wave, time of day, sun spot activity to name a few.

highdesertranger

The current sunspot minimums dont really afect the lower shortwave bands.

The shortwave bands below 10-12 mhz are often still usable at night, and sometimes during the day.

The stations below 7 mhz or around that number tend to come in strong after local sunset.

I gave up on radio years ago. Nothing there interests me.

I used to listen to a swing band Tuesday night show and a Friday night all old blues show on NPR. But they quit doing them on that station. The internet radio station pretty much took over that niche of special interest music broadcast without commercial interruptions.

You can play around with money, versatility, sound quality, shows.

If you have an unlimited data plan listening to online radio is one way. You have access to the world
XM might have an App cheaper than a device+ subscription.
YouTube has audiobooks, old radio shows, music albums and hours of soft music to read, relax, sleep to.

Using your radios it can be fun to find and listen to near and far stations, keep a log.

Ham radio with an easy to get Tech lic and an inexpensive Chinese handheld can be another hobby not taking much space in your vehicle.

Many good Old Time Radio podcasts. I enjoy “The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio” by Adam Graham (there is an App for it also. I use it as it is easy)
For westerns -Old Time Radio Westerns- has some good shows with better than average sound quality.

As far as unlimited data look at the threads on Visible. It is a Verizon company. It’s prepaid and unlimited everything running from a flat $40 to as low as $25 if you join a party(?) And it includes a Hotspot (unlimited). Coverage is typical Verizon prepaid so just like StraightTalk, Trac, Red Pocket ... no roaming coverage. We’ve used the hotspot to run the TV for Netflix shows in very rural areas with low speed. Works well as long as the connection doesn’t cut

I guess this is what makes America great: I have enjoyed all forms of radio my entire life. My Amateur Radio hobby is a perfect companion to living on the road and camping. I would really miss it if I were no longer able to operate, which I do on a daily basis, chatting with friends all over the country.

Just my opinion . . .

I've been into SW for years.   It isn't, unfortunately, what it used to be.  

But even a simple analog tuner SW Receiver can be attached to a dipole antenna (clothes line antenna) to pull in a lot of broadcast and add more power to weak stations.  (you can do this with a digital tuner SW Receiver too) 

You can find these little roll up antenna's that are as big as a kids YOYO.   They have a clip that attaches to the radio's rod antenna and the other end ties to a fixed vertical mooring.  Then you can experiment running it north by south or east by west and listen in.

[img=400x400]https://www.ccrane.com/images/ccrane/products/zoom/ant_sw_cc_reel_ant_zoom.jpg[/img]

For sure SW isn't what it used to be. When BBC Radio shut down its SW broadcasts to the world (the still have limited broadcasts to Africa, Central and South America, maybe parts of Asia), that signaled the end. I enjoyed the broadcasts from RCI (Radio Canada International) quite a lot.

Have a couple super radios. They have the best sound and considered great DXers.

Got our first because a business radio station in the DC area went off the air but then transmitted their shows using a special modified Super Radio. Worked great and then you had this Super Radio for regular listening.

Last couple years found on eBay one of the earlier models. Also a great radio.

my all time favorite Short Wave was a WWII era Steward Warner Military radio. more knobs and switches then all get out. about the size of a milk crate, thing had to weigh 40 pounds. it was the same as this one,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264272647307

highdesertranger

LOL,  I bet those ol' fire bottles in that rig ate some power HDR.  Still it would be a joy to operate and listen to one of those.

There is definitely a plethora of tubes in there. Might give off quite a bit of heat too.

I use two Sangean radios that are Radio Shack branded. The DX-398 is a Sangean ATS-909 and had great sensitivity and sound quality, but it does like to go through AA batteries. My other is a DX-396, not sure who made it, and is a lower performer but can go 350+ hrs on two C cells.

If you were going to buy one shortwave radio.... which one would it be?