I bought an SUV now what?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For much of this sort of thing about all you can do is look at various ideas then start adapting them to your space and personal preferences. Its unlikely you will find a vehicle specific example to simply follow. I have scads of things book marked in my computer in about every subject you can imagine, including cargo trailer builds, which is the main focus of my camp rig aspirations. The SUV is not the primary, but will be usable for sleeping.

I will suggest something, many SUV setups seem to make a raised sleeping platform with slide out drawer storage underneath. I avoid that as I dont want to cramp my head room when inside. I removed the middle seats and will build lockable storage where the seats were but it will be level with the rear floor, my storage space comes from a raised dog platform in the rear 3 ft or so, I can store things underneath as needed and on the sides of the dog platform, but to sleep I move some of the underneath stuff out to either the front seat or to the passenger side of the middle area, then I have space for me and the dog. If you dont have a dog then the dog platform is still good storage space and you arent cramping your head room. like a raised sleeping platform does.

So can anyone help?
HAHHAHHA. So you are afraid and Leary…. Dont be.. HAPPENS TO US ALL….JUST make. A list of what all you want t see, places you want to go, things you want to do -on-the-road…. And go for it… THATS WHAT !!!

Thanks buddy. Trying to find an equivalent for a 2007 outlader or similar
You'll probably have to take the ideas presented to you by everyone here and customize it to your vehicle. Take pictures/video and document your build so you can add to helping others in your situation.

Well........... I help Nomads set-up their rigs........PirateCamp............Arrrrrrgh

We don't do "down under".........But from around the world......................that's a Big guy Little car problem

IF I was faced with this I'd LOOK at removing all the seats 'cept the drivers............

A FLAT bed down the passenger side (no-matter-You-Aussies-doing-it-the-wrong-side).......try sitting.......your core is gonna be about 40" off the mattress......I don't think you have that much head room..........that means always leaning.....that's usually a fail in my book

Maybe you can retain HALF the rear seat behind the driver.....or assemble a DIY "seat" there....and then the BED becomes a crawl in affair.............a fold down "desk" behind the driver for your computer/videos.............

At the back door a basic kitchen......a flat-top wooden box to hold the stove at the right height (Don't scorch the ceiling) and room for pan/plate/flatware inside........Cooking access from Inside/Out.......Icebox/fridge next to it or up front by the passenger seat-no-more

Solar panel on roof and batteries tucked someplace..........Any basement storage?.......YourMilageMayVary

Latest posts