Anyone removed the passenger seat chevy express

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
I posited this question rather badly several months ago but hopefully, I can communicate better this time. I have a 2012 Chevy Express. I removed the front passenger seat to install a non-permanent storage container. The van won't pass inspection now unless I put the seat back in or figure out how to disconnect the other half of the module that's in the seat and reconnect it to the other half still in the van. Has anyone dealt with this issue? I searched YouTubes and found nothing helpful. Thank you for your input.

I don't quite get what your asking, is it not passing inspection because there's still part of the seat there?
What is this module?
Can you maybe post a pic to clarify?
Also, if you have the seat still, reinstall for inspection then take it back out.

Are you referring to an air bag and/or seat belt sensor in a passenger seat? Does it light up a light on your dash? What state are you in? Where do you go for what type of inspection? Why were you told your vehicle failed inspection? It would help to know the state requirements so we can make suggestions.

LookinUp said:
I posited this question rather badly several months ago but hopefully, I can communicate better this time. I have a 2012 Chevy Express.

Join a Chevy forum. There are knowledgeable people on this forum but you should have better luck getting answers to specific questions about your brand/model from owners of the same type vehicle.

Uncle Todo said:
I don't quite get what your asking, is it not passing inspection because there's still part of the seat there?
What is this module?
Can you maybe post a pic to clarify?
Also, if you have the seat still, reinstall for inspection then take it back out.
I have considered putting the seat back in for inspection, but it's heavy and I'd like a more permanent solution. I'm talking about the seatbelt tensioner/airbag plug and play connections that go from the seat to the van floor. The indicator light is on as long as they aren't connected. I was hoping to find someone who'd dealt with the issue previously. Thanks for your input.

slow2day said:
Join a Chevy forum. There are knowledgeable people on this forum but you should have better luck getting answers to specific questions about your brand/model from owners of the same type vehicle.
Great suggestion, thanks

bullfrog said:
Are you referring to an air bag and/or seat belt sensor in a passenger seat? Does it light up a light on your dash? What state are you in? Where do you go for what type of inspection? Why were you told your vehicle failed inspection? It would help to know the state requirements so we can make suggestions.
Thanks for your input, yes, the air bag/seat sensor. I'm in Texas which requires inspections to register a vehicle. I was told it would not pass with the light on.

If the wire is actually protruding out from the floor or from the carpet, follow it back and you should find a connector.
To trick it into thinking it has something connected, you may be able to short the two wires together by cutting a paperclip to fit and putting one end into each side of the plug.
Although I may be taking for granted it's two wires when you haven't really said.
Shorting it may or may not work, and it could blow the fuse.
If it's just a light and no buzzer, I've seen people actually disconnect dash lights to keep them from coming on, such as known CEL issues, or put tape over it.
I'm not advising to try shorting it out, but just saying that's what I'd try.

I guess I lucked out. With my '07 Express cargo van all I had to do was unbolt the seat.

If you need to remove the passenger seat or airbag part of the airbag system I found a guy that helped me in Texas.
Send him an email and he told me how to do it all. You can pull out the passenger seat as long as you keep the sensor in place that tells the front airbag (dash) to remain on or off.
As far as seatbelts and side airbags or curtains as what I needed he helped with by pass that stuff.
here is a link to their site www.airbagsystems.com

LookinUp said:
Thanks for your input, yes, the air bag/seat sensor. I'm in Texas which requires inspections to register a vehicle. I was told it would not pass with the light on.
yes, i got sick of dealing with "inspection issues" down there while they dont even have vehicle inspections up here in MN. if you are around Houston, send me a pm and i'll tell you where to go...jim

Uncle Todo said:
...you may be able to short the two wires together by cutting a paperclip to fit and putting one end into each side of the plug...

And it might trigger the airbag. Or shorting out something might mess with the computer.

But I had a different idea (which might not be possible and might not work). Disassemble the passenger seat enough to get out the wiring and electronic bits, reconnect it to the other end of the wiring, roll it all up nice and neat and tuck it out of the way under the dash.