Anyone else a gamer or game collector?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vannstein

Reaction score
Hey there, welcome to my post. :) 

I like to collect game consoles and games, and that's fine if you have room for it all.

I have a couple old tube tv's in storage as well as a stereo and a ton of consoles and racks filled with games and other stuff.

Problem is, you can't really take all that with you in a van while traveling. I can pick a few consoles and a smaller flat tv to satisfy my hobby hunger, but seems like the rest will just end up rotting in storage.

What have you guys done with regards to your hobbies that like to fill lots of physical space?

Android tablet. Not top of the line, but can play games I like.

When I was thinking about a console in the van, I think a PlayStation 2 wasn't to bad with power requirements. Decent game library too.

Yes, you're referring to digitally emulating console games. That's possible for all the older systems, but not for systems from the last 15-20 years.

And I like to collect the physical versions, not just digital copies. Physical things take up lots of space though. 

So I'm more interested in the physical possession of hobby materials, not the associated activities (gaming in this case).

I'm wondering how people work the physical stuff in with a mobile life. I'm sure everyone has similar things that only get done in the physical world, like gardening, or something else that takes place in a stationary home.

I'm not " on the road" per say yet. But one of the things I collect is Gameboy and dS stuff. Small, doesn't need a TV. Runs on batteries

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

lol, collecting and mobile life does not really go hand in hand. except maybe stamps

my 2 solutions end up being giving up and getting rid of the physical things. collecting pictures of the cool ones i find along the way that i would have acquired in the past. also i now collect "things" that are consumable like mushrooms n berries. or seashells and fossils, but i have a rule i try to follow. at the end of the day i look at what i collected. if i cant eat it up, i have to decide to get rid of something previously collected if i am going to keep something new.

then when all that fails, i did buy an acre of land i can put stuff in storage and come back to from time to time... lol

vannstein said:
Hey there, welcome to my post. :) 

I like to collect game consoles and games, and that's fine if you have room for it all.

I have a couple old tube tv's in storage as well as a stereo and a ton of consoles and racks filled with games and other stuff.

Problem is, you can't really take all that with you in a van while traveling. I can pick a few consoles and a smaller flat tv to satisfy my hobby hunger, but seems like the rest will just end up rotting in storage.

What have you guys done with regards to your hobbies that like to fill lots of physical space?

Ever heard of the Vectrex system?  I had one, and looking at eBay prices, wish I hadn't sold it long ago...

The nomadic life requires compromise in so many areas.  When space is an issue, it may be necessary to rethink past hobbies and find new ones.  Prioritizing is hard.  One has to ask if it's really worth paying for storage to hang on to old interests and entertainments, or to take a leap into the unknown and let go. 

One of my passions is sewing and, while I am preparing to move into a vehicle, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my three sewing machines, numerous tools and accessories, sewing furniture, huge fabric stash, and huge collection of sewing patterns.  I am torn and struggling with this, but will likely put these things in storage, though I also don't want to be tethered down to belongings that are locked away somewhere.  Ugh, the choices aren't always easy. Upheaval might just have to be embraced.

around here tube TV's are considered Hazardous Waste. so I would get rid of those unless you want to hold on to them for another 75 years until they might be worth something. highdesertranger

@CityWoman

Give up my Serger, sewing machine, tools and material? Bite your tongue.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I am book collector. I have a storage unit I take all my books to after I read them. Keep like 6 or 7 in the van to read or reference. A lot of the books I buy are textbooks or out of print stuff. Too expensive to just discard afterwards. I also keep the bulk of my tools in the unit. I keep the ones I use more in the van.

As far as games go, I got a low end gaming laptop. I play a lot of older games anyway and it's still powerful enough to play the new ones that peek my interest. You can also emulate newer systems. I'm cautious of it though because of anti piracy. It's not worth it to me.

geogentry said:
Give up my Serger, sewing machine, tools and material? Bite your tongue.

LOL, I'm hoping to rent the kind of storage space that can double as a workshop so I can go there to sew.  I can't give up my vintage Necchi and all my fabric!

highdesertranger said:
around here tube TV's are considered Hazardous Waste.  so I would get rid of those unless you want to hold on to them for another 75 years until they might be worth something.  highdesertranger

Actually the old sony tube TVs on ebay bring $3-$400 its crazy

I have a small collection of consoles. Mostly garage sale finds or limited editions.
Sega Dreamcast (needs wires)
PS2 (needs wires)
Ps3 gen 2
PS4
Switch
GameCube (Pokemon XD edition)
Xbox 360 elite
Game boy color (atomic purple)
Game boy color (teal)
Game boy color (dark pink)
Game boy advance (silver)
DSlite White (broken hinge)
3DS (Limited Purple)
3DSXL (Red XY Edition)
new3DSXL (Pokeball Edition)
Note almost all the handhelds and both Xbox’s and the GameCube were bought used or were gifts

A retro pie system would provide some great variety for the old systems. And a new system can handle the downloadable games. or a steam box for the steam games would be good.

Latest posts