Will pay someone for solar install -Tucson

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubatom

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I’m pretty sure I have my solar system picked out. I just got my van and I need to measure everything. I’m pretty handy and could probably figure it out but I’d much rather pay someone who knows exactly what to do. I would like to do the work but I would also like to have someone experienced by my side so everything is perfect! If you can help let me know and we can talk about pay.

Get ahold of jinindenver. Jim is a member here he was in Quartzsite a couple weeks ago. I don't know where he is now hopefully he is still close by. Are you planning on buying from Santan? You won't beat their prices and they're local to you.

Highdesertranger

Jim is worth driving a bit to meet up with. He usually stays in AZ, so consider it a practice camping trip.

I will definitely try and get ahold of jim. I definitely don’t mind taking a little drive to meet him.

I hadn’t heard of Santan before. I don’t know why because I was searching local solar vendors. I just looked them up and their prices are killer. How are they so much lower than everyone? 365 watts for $165? That’s amazing. I was going to order from Renogy because they appear to be a solid product but I’d rather order local.

When buying residential sized panels, the trick is to pick them up in person. When I bought mine, I had to pay truck freight to Florida. No regrets but if I had been in AZ at the time, I would have saved a lot of money

I'm still in Quartzsite but I'm packing up to head to Flagstaff. The A/C works fine on solar but the heat keeps me from doing much outside most of the day.

You can reach me at [email protected]. Like HDR said, get most of what you need at Santan on the way. My customers get a 10% discount there and they sell more than just panels.

One thing that you want to be able to do is test the panels when you pick them up.

Scubatom said:
I will definitely try and get ahold of jim. I definitely don’t mind taking a little drive to meet him.

I hadn’t heard of Santan before. I don’t know why because I was searching local solar vendors.  I just looked them up and their prices are killer. How are they so much lower than everyone? 365 watts for $165? That’s amazing. I was going to order from Renogy because they appear to be a solid product but I’d rather order local.

Many (all?) of the panels they sell are used. They buy from corporate types who replace all their panels at once. Santan has a great reputation for honesty and helpfulness, and they test at least some of the panels themselves.

This summer I bought a tested 286 watt panel from them for something like $90. Picked it up myself. Yes, my panel hits the original specs.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m just going over a couple more things with the van to make sure it’s mechanically sound and then I’m going to go buy all of the solar panel parts. Once I do that I will get a hold of you Jim. I definitely don’t mind traveling to wherever you’re at. I will shoot you an email in the next couple days. Thank you for reaching out!

Suggestion:. Talk things over with Jim BEFORE you buy the parts. He can make sure you get the things you need and nothing you don't need. He does this a lot.

Latest posts