Teltonika Internet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being familiar with the guy who is Kombi Life I know that he is not a USA citizen and lives in Europe. So knowing where his citizenship is meant that the Teltonika services and devises were unlikely to have much of a presence in North America. A few seconds of research proved that my suspicions about it not being USA based were accurate. That company is based in Lithuania.

My advice is for the best convenience for your use try to find something local where you can get any devices you might buy serviced in the USA. Shipping cost to and from Europe is definitely not affordable and your warranty on physical devices be questionable as to getting items replaced.

As to SIM cards they are very common in devices such as phones, tablets and other cellular connected devices including various models of laptops. Also some devices now use E-SIMS instead of a physical SIM chip you insert into the devise. If you do not know what an E-SIM is look it up, they have become fairly common now.

I can easily access the internet while traveling using my cell phone. My cell phone data plan lets me use my cell phone as a hotspot. I needed to do that today so I could connect my laptop to the internet to go into my email account and download some files from that account onto my laptop. Since I am self employed with an online business it a great convenience for me and a space saver just to have my phone be my hotspot for my other devices I might want to put online. That means I also do not need a Wi-Fi router in my travel trailer. I have a little USB powered Wi-Fi router but in 3 years of full time nomad life I have never needed it.

Last edited:
Being familiar with the guy who is Kombi Life I know that he is not a USA citizen and lives in Europe. So knowing where his citizenship is meant that the Teltonika services and devises were unlikely to have much of a presence in North America. A few seconds of research proved that my suspicions about it not being USA based were accurate. That company is based in Lithuania.

My advice is for the best convenience for your use try to find something local where you can get any devices you might buy serviced in the USA. Shipping cost to and from Europe is definitely not affordable and your warranty on physical devices be questionable as to getting items replaced.

As to SIM cards they are very common in devices such as phones, tablets and other cellular connected devices including various models of laptops. Also some devices now use E-SIMS instead of a physical SIM chip you insert into the devise. If you do not know what an E-SIM is look it up, they have become fairly common now.

I can easily access the internet while traveling using my cell phone. My cell phone data plan lets me use my cell phone as a hotspot. I needed to do that today so I could connect my laptop to the internet to go into my email account and download some files from that account onto my laptop. Since I am self employed with an online business it a great convenience for me and a space saver just to have my phone be my hotspot for my other devices I might want to put online. That means I also do not need a Wi-Fi router in my travel trailer. I have a little USB powered Wi-Fi router but in 3 years of full time nomad life I have never needed it.
thanks maki.

i've followed kombi life for four years and knew he was from jersey in the uk (I think). But he replied in the comments that Teltonika works in north america. Is that because it uses Sim cards?

Hot spots on phones are a mystery, but my granddaughter is going to teach me. She doesn't know how much bandwidth is allowed using her hot spot, but she said it disconnects regularly.

A hot spot might not work for me when gaming, but maybe. I think I use too much bandwidth. I'm used to an unlimited fiber connection at 256 mbps down and up. I might have to give up gaming.

I found a decent primer on e-SIM's: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/what-is-an-esim-card

Didn't know my phone had one.

Thanks for explaining this stuff.

I'm used to an unlimited fiber connection at 256 mbps down and up
Yeah........Guess again........Better save up your $$$ for STARLINKY

Today.............1.77 Down/ .13 Up...........Verizon hotspot in the LTVA Quartzsite

2.21 Down/ 3.77 Up...............Mighty WiFi on T-mobile network..........Q

Last edited:
Online gaming is going to be frustrating for on-the-road life using a cellular connection. Hotspot routers use a cellular connection. Sometimes you end up in campsites with a strong, fast, signal but in my experience you can’t depend on finding strong signals everywhere you camp when you travel.

Starlink works great but that system is pretty power hungry. You will need a good sized battery a solar panel combination setup and likely also a generator for cloudy days or evenings before bedtime. Of course even without a Starlink system gamers need lots of battery storage and plenty of solar panels to fill those batteries. Likely you will also need a generator for cloudy days and night time gaming.

Last edited:
Online gaming is going to be frustrating for on-the-road life using a cellular connection. Hotspot routers use a cellular connection. Sometimes you end up in campsites with a strong, fast, signal but in my experience you can’t depend on finding strong signals everywhere you camp when you travel.

Starlink works great but that system is pretty power hungry. You will need a good sized battery a solar panel combination setup and likely also a generator for cloudy days or evenings before bedtime. Of course even without a Starlink system gamers need lots of battery storage and plenty of solar panels to fill those batteries. Likely you will also need a generator for cloudy days and night time gaming.
I hope to get a paid camping spot one night a week, but it might be too much bother that often. Looks like my gaming days will be over soon. I gave up most games already. Just Sims 3 and Runescape now. I have a CD for Sims. I could use that when I pay to camp.

Thanks for the heads up:)

SIM cards are just the little electronic thing that identifies your device to the cellular network where it is connecting. There isn't anything special about them, the main thing is that generally they are used for connecting to cell phone networks.

I am guessing that the bandwidth issues in Q right now are mainly because there are a bazillion more people using the networks than normal.

I game over my 5g Calyx hotspot (on T-mobile network) all the time and almost all the time it works great... Do hit lag/congestion infrequently. Not sure how this will work while on the road though because... well, cellular signal coverage... and I haven't had great luck with cell signal boosters.

If you need a lot of bandwidth for your own personal style of a mobile life then invest in a Starlink setup.

^^^You say that now but wait til you end up somewhere not connected with no other alternative, we will miss you! Lol!!!

Lots of places with dispersed camping have unreliable cell signals. If the location is near a town the cell signals can be very slow from 8 am until 11pm on weekdays and often worse on weekends. At La Posa South in Quartzsite this evening at 8:30 the upload and download speed for Verizon is completely unusable for any internet use. It has been that way since Thanksgiving and it will remain unuseable except between 11pm and 6am until the end of February. So if you want to do online gaming plan on being a night owl. Unfortunately the downside of that in the desert in the winter time is that might mean you will need a good heater because your hands will get pretty cold feeling when the inside of your space drops below 40 degrees.

RuneScape will run on a slower cell connection. You might have to wait until you get a stronger consistent signal for doing intense fighting. But the other stuff can easily be handled with low bandwidth. Haven't played in a long while, but I might get back into it at some point.

RuneScape will run on a slower cell connection. You might have to wait until you get a stronger consistent signal for doing intense fighting. But the other stuff can easily be handled with low bandwidth. Haven't played in a long while, but I might get back into it at some point.
Thanks. Yeah, I played Runescape on a dialup years ago. Then Runescape 3 using Hughesnet which was a tad faster than dialup. I don't fight any bosses and don't even like tough slayer tasks that much. Not since those big mammoths killed me:)

The biggest problem I will have is with certain quests in which I have to survive a final fight. That happened when I was on Hughesnet. I had a player who I barely knew get me past the final fight. One of the dumber things I did when gaming, but they were honest.

Satellite Internet is the worst for gaming sure to extreme lag. Hughesnet has roughly 1-2 (1000ms-2000ms) second delay most of the time.

Current cell tech is 15ms-100ms on average. That's enough to handle most quest bosses.

If you ever want to borrow a black Santa let me know. I'll see if I can remember my password. I'm still paying my $5 a month ago I might as well use it. :p