spam email about PO box rental?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
This may be an isolated incident but I thought I'd mention it just in case it's more widespread.
I got an email today saying my PO box rental was overdue. The subject line was pretty convincing -- better done than these things usually are. I checked with my post office branch and they said they never send out notices that way.

Individual PO branches are a lot easier to reach by phone than they used to be, and I believe you can also manage your PO account through the USPS website. Obviously, nobody wants to deal with the mess that could happen if you depend on a PO box and it lapses. But I'd be cautious if you get a message like this. There are other ways to make sure you're up to date.

With the smallest PO Boxes, size #1 box, now priced at over $80 dollars every six months (at least in my area) a clever scammer could crowbar $160 bucks out of the unwary. In years past Po Boxes weren't that expensive so there wasn't money enough for running such scam's.