More A/C Thoughts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanFan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be feasible to set a small window a/c <i>outside</i> the van and duct the cool air <i>in</i> through a small window opening?&nbsp; What am I overlooking?<br><br>This makes me think of a through-the-rear-door installation (wasn't that you, David?), with the cool air directed past obstructions into the sleeping area with duct work.&nbsp; (We probably won't do anything quite that "radical" just yet, but I like the idea better than a roof mount.)<br><br>Input appreciated!&nbsp; Thanks!<br><br>Vickie<br><br>

Yes, that would work but not well unless you also had air from the van ducted to the air inlet of the A/C.&nbsp; Window units arn't designed for ducting, but something could be fashoned from fiberglass ductboard or sheet metal.<br>

Thanks for the reply!&nbsp; I just came across this discussion on a pop-up camper forum, which points out some of the pitfalls.&nbsp; Hmmm.&nbsp; Might be worth a shot nonetheless...<br><br>Now to show my ignorance:&nbsp; Where <i>is</i> the air inlet on a window a/c?<br>Vickie<br><br>

Hi V.....Is there any way you can avoid weather in which you would need A/C? I have never needed it or very much heat by trying to avoid unpleasant weather, hot or cold....Unless you are stuck in a severe climate by some reason like a job or ? you should be able to just drive to better climate.<br>That said, I have seen a box van in Mexico that the guy had cut an opening near the ceiling in the sidewall, built a shelf on the inside that a small window type A/C unit sat on and he could slide it out to use it and in to travel. Of course he could only use it in a campground or someplace he had a power plugin.<br>Bri<br><br>

Brian:&nbsp; I do have commitments keeping me in the area most of the time for now.&nbsp; Generally, we are free to travel during the week.&nbsp; The highest points in Arkansas are within easy range, and usually afford a 10 degree temperature drop.&nbsp; The trade-off is higher humidity.<br><br>I wish I had the guts to cut a hole for a sliding unit in a side or rear door!&nbsp; Maybe I'll pick up a small window unit and try it with the door open and covered with a tarp first.<br><br>Vickie<br><br>

<font face="Arial">No idea how much space you have to work with, but what about building a half 'wall' just inside</font> <font face="Arial">one rear door and installing the window unit in that wall? You can then either seal the wall off from the rest of the interior and leave that door open, or do some duct work to the window and keep the door shut<br>Either way, don't forget the drain.<br>No idea why, but this attached pic comes up in a Google search for "tamper proof cargo trailer tools"<br><br></font>

That's a very clever idea!&nbsp; You could even say it's cool (tee hee).&nbsp; Thank you.<br>Vickie<br><br>

On most window air conditioners, the air inlet (for inside air) is below the outlet, taking most of the front of the unit.&nbsp; When you take the plastic front off, you see the filter in the front that should be cleaned or replaced every month or so of use, and the aluminum fins that the air flows through.<br>

<P>Im thinking about getting a portable ( from lowes 299 ) and just cutting a 6in hole on the side of the van to vent it !</P>

Vickie, I've seen several that were installed in a rear window cutout. Might be a hassle, but if moby is a cargo van, you should be able to get an identical door at a wrecking yard. Kinda like studded tires for the winter, put the door ( probably a rear one) with a cutout for AC unit on in the summer, and swap for the solid one in the cooler months.

And a quick welcome to paintervan in Fla. Yes, cutting a hole is by far the simplest way, but it's irreversible, at least without body shop skills.

Thanks Les!&nbsp; The main issue with a rear window a/c for me is safety, but the idea of swapping out a door is a good one.<br><br>Moby is an upfitted Express, but cargo van doors would fit.&nbsp; The hinges on the Express are not designed to carry an additional load, which is one reason you don't see door mounted spare tires on them.&nbsp; Forty or 50 pounds might not be a problem, but I don't know.<br><br>Over the last several days, I've seen some intriguing front passenger window installations (for use when parked only), and some crazy window a/c mods--mainly among folks with "grow rooms", whatever <i>that</i> means.&nbsp; LOL!<br><br>I hope to pick up a light, cheap unit soon and play a little with it.<br><br>Vickie<br><br>

<FONT size=4 face="times new roman, times, serif">thx Les</FONT><br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman">hey Vicky,</FONT><br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman">Did you notice if the vehicles with ac,s in passenger windows had any supports to hold em up or were just wedged in ?</FONT><br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman">btw I have a express too !</FONT><br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Alan</FONT><br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;<br>

<font face="Arial">Paintervan - the 'portable' room air conditioners don't work very well. I tried one in my 8x9 shed. Waste of money buying it and it's a power hog.<br>Twice as expensive as a small window unit, need to be vented/drained constantly...plus sitting on the floor - they mostly just recirculate semi-cooled air and end up being mold/mildew farms (in southwest Florida anyway).<br>Check consumer and product reviews on Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon.com, etc. or google the model you're thinking of buying for reviews on it. <br><br></font>

<P>Hi VanFan.&nbsp; Best wishes for your a/c decision and install.&nbsp; It's too complicated for me so this is what we decided to do. Where we currently live, we can have 1 or 2 weeks straight over 100 during the summer. (South of Fresno). No cooling below 80 at night. Our house a/c broke and we have occasional power outages. I slept pretty well with just a floor fan blowing on high, but H had to go to family house. The floor level is at least 5 degrees cooler than bed height.&nbsp; But, we plan on being on the coast or in the mountains during the worst of it. Parking in the shade during the heat of the day. Also, I copied an ice-chest air-conditioner from You-Tube. $10. fan fromWmart and cooler wrapped in reflectix. Will work either 120 indoors at less&nbsp; than one amp or in our van w/auto inverter for about an 1amp an hour.&nbsp; I know ice or frozen containers will need to be replaced daily, but it will be used only at night. Have tested it and it cools a single room in a house quite comfortably too. jb</P><P>
VanFan said:
Thanks Les!&nbsp; The main issue with a rear window a/c for me is safety, but the idea of swapping out a door is a good one.<BR><BR>Moby is an upfitted Express, but cargo van doors would fit.&nbsp; The hinges on the Express are not designed to carry an additional load, which is one reason you don't see door mounted spare tires on them.&nbsp; Forty or 50 pounds might not be a problem, but I don't know.<BR><BR>Over the last several days, I've seen some intriguing front passenger window installations (for use when parked only), and some crazy window a/c mods--mainly among folks with "grow rooms", whatever <I>that</I> means.&nbsp; LOL!<BR><BR>I hope to pick up a light, cheap unit soon and play a little with it.<BR><BR>Vickie<BR><BR>
</P>

<FONT size=4 face="times new roman, times, serif">thx for the advice 4x4,</FONT><br><FONT size=4 face="Times New Roman">I know very little about them,But the reviews seemed mostly good and the ones im lookin at have a hose for draining&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; so no emptying em.btw nice job on your ac ! not too much stickin out , what kinda supports are on the inside ? Im at least 2 months away from movin in to my van, Window ac sounds better&nbsp;&nbsp; but I gotta figure a way to do it, rear window wont work cos of a steel dividing wall 3ft from rear for painting/drywall stuff&nbsp;&nbsp;( sprayer,compressor,paint, etc )</FONT><br>

Latest posts