Leathercraft

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a lot of leathercraft I feel that for custom hand stitched work I am very reasonable.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-2064.JPG
    IMG-2064.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG-2065.JPG
    IMG-2065.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Queen said:
I looked into it, not too expensive, but since you can carry loaded in the car and on a boat, not sure I'll bother spending the money.
You do have to get out of the rig from time to time.
-crofter

Back on the subject of leather, what is the best way to get a leather concealed holster fitting comfortably? I have heard of using water but am afraid to ruin it. 
-crofter

crofter said:
Back on the subject of leather, what is the best way to get a leather concealed holster fitting comfortably? I have heard of using water but am afraid to ruin it. 
-crofter

Use warm water. Soak it and wrap the pistol in plastic wrap and then shove it in and mold the leather around it. Won’t work with oil tanned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be out in the LTVA come the end of December. Will not be doing leather work, but would be willing to teach anyone about leather work, especially tooling. I have been doing leather work for 26 years and my ex wife was a winner of the Al Stohlman award which is the highest award you can get in the leather world.

I would love to replace some of my cloth pockets in my van with leather pockets. I like my pockets, but I think it would look really nice in leather.
Since I was not real sober back in high school leather class I think I missed a few points. I will have to see what I can find.... Lately the leather I have been using is to thin for pockets as it is from old leather skirts from the thrift store. I will have to find some heavier stuff. My son found some tools at a garage sale last year in a tool box he bought. He gave them to me to use as he had no idea what they were. I need to find the hardware to hang them on the wall.... hum new project to think about.
I always love a new idea, thanks for the reminder of leather...
I'm sure it won't be anything near as good as you would make...... but maybe it won't be to screwed up.

A couple of hole thread punch things and a few design things and a few needles. I few things I'm not to sure about. They were all in a small box tucked under the shelf thing in his tool box. There was a small hammer thing....Some waxed thread, maybe some other things I will have to look again.

I need to find some leather but I am cheap so I will keep looking for something..... Thrift store is my normal shop.
This is maybe something I will have to really shop for.

Joseekatt said:
Use warm water. Soak it and wrap the pistol in plastic wrap and then shove it in and mold the leather around it. Won’t work with oil tanned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip. Will the firearm get condensation on it from the water?  -,crofter

Gypsyjoe#1 said:
I will be out in the LTVA come the end of December. Will not be doing leather work, but would be willing to teach anyone about leather work, especially tooling. I have been doing leather work for 26 years and my ex wife was a winner of the Al Stohlman award which is the highest award you can get in the leather world.
That is an awesome opportunity!    -crofter

vanbrat said:
A couple of hole thread punch things and a few design things and a few needles. I few things I'm not to sure about. They were all in a small box tucked under the shelf thing in his tool box. There was a small hammer thing....Some waxed thread, maybe some other things I will have to look again.

I need to find some leather but I am cheap so I will keep looking for something..... Thrift store is my normal shop.
This is maybe something I will have to really shop for.

If you need sources for leather I can get you some, although I have to admit they are not thrift stores.

Another funny leather story. My dad in his old age went into the post office one day to get stamps and saw a notice of a blind auction for a surplus leather mail bag and an old railroad mail cart. He decided to place a really low bid of $.50 for the leather mail bag and $5.00 for the cart. About a month later while I was visiting he got a call he had won the bid so since I had a pickup I told him I would go pick them up. When I got there the post master asked me to pull the truck up to the loading dock so I backed the pickup to the dock only to see a funny look on his face. The reason for the look was there were 100 pretty much brand new leather mail bags, 100 canvas and leather wood framed money bags and 10 steel wheeled pipe framed carts with 2’ oak platforms. So I was out $150 and spent all day making 14 trips back and forth to the post office. We donated most of the leather to the art class at the high school but to this day I still have a new money bag I keep with me for when I win the lottery!

Wow that would be a fun thing to bid on and win the bid I can think of a few things to do with one cart and maybe a few bags..

I think craftspeople and artists wouldn’t mind the scars and dings on the leather. A lot of people won’t buy non-perfect items but then they need to buy machine made. But those scars and discolorations make something unique and beautiful. I miss the old leather and bead work items. It would be nice to bring it back. I would love some soft slippers.

Latest posts