Help! New instal solar panel, but the generator says “short”

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taj

Traveler, always looking for home.
Reaction score
Hi in installed a 150 watt solar panel, but both my blueitt and rock pals says “short” everything looks good, and it appears all the same on a friends other van! What’s to be fixed.

is the panel putting out good voltage.... put a meter to it.

There are some cable sets and cable ports being sold that are deliberately wired backwards of other brands so that people have to use their proprietary products. Backwards meaning that instead of the negative wire being black from one brand it is red on that brand and the same reverse for the positive wire.

My senior brain is failing me today on which company does that reverse color scheme but it is a real thing.

^^Thanks Abnorm …Zamp is it!
They use reverse polarity. I know Discount Solar in Quartzsite sells Zamp Products so there is some of it around the Quartzsite area that could have gotten mixed in with people giving away Zamp stuff at van builds or thrift stores. Or just buying it as a new purchase.

It is a possible cause of a short indication if those wire sets or components got mixed into a build design that is wired to the standard polarity.

Thank you! For the help, I’ll look into this asap!